As we come to the end of the year, MUM once again is grateful for all of you. 2022 included more opportunities for MUM to raise awareness and funds in the community, with the return of Stamp Out Hunger and Taste of Wheaton, and the second annual HalloWheaton event! Our choice pantry at the office re-opened in 2022, and MUM continued to provide families with needed food through our mobile food pantry. As anticipated, the end of emergency safeguards put in place by the county, state, and federal governments during the pandemic resulted in significant increases in the need for eviction and utility cutoff prevention, as MUM strives to assist neighbors in need.
MUM appreciates every donation of time, food, and money that allows us to continue the work of serving others in our community. This “thank you” list recognizes the variety of assistance that MUM has received just in the latter part of the year!
- A special thank you to everyone who supported MUM on Giving Tuesday, November 28, 2022. MUM received donations of $4,635 through 2022’s Giving Tuesday! Remember, although Giving Tuesday focuses on that specific date, you can help to make the work that MUM does possible at any time with your donations!
- MUM received donations made through the Greg Gannon Canned Food Drive (GGCFD) during the first weekend of December! We are delighted that this year MUM was the recipient of 1,070 pounds of food, valued at $2,407.50, and thank everyone who contributed food! To learn more about the GGCFD see their website Greg Gannon Canned Food Drive
- MUM was delighted to receive $836 contributed at the Kensington-North Chevy Chase Ministerium Community Thanksgiving Service on November 22. Annually for over 40 years, the Ministerium has held a Thanksgiving service on the Tuesday of Thanksgiving Week at which a local charity is highlighted as the recipient of the collection. MUM is grateful to have been this year’s recipient!
- We were also lucky to receive $440 from Cedar Lane Unitarian Universalist Church through their recent “share the plate” offering! Cedar Lane also donated 1,076 pounds of food, valued at $2,422.71 in November!
- Kensington Senior Living hosted its annual Friendsgiving Celebration and Stuff the Truck to benefit MUM on Thursday, November 17th! Thanks to those in the Kensington area who gathered at Kensington Park to stuff the truck with donations at the 7th Annual Friendsgiving Celebration, MUM received 933 pounds of food, valued at $2,099.25, as well as more than $1600 in donations!
- HalloWheaton returned to Wheaton on Sunday, October 30, and was a day of fun for all ages! MUM sold wine and beer for the grown-up revelers, raising $770 in proceeds to support our programs!
- The Haunted Trail on Old Scream Road brought spooky Halloween fun to Kensington for seven fun-filled nights in October. 379,25 pounds of food, valued at $853.29, was donated and $1600 in financial donations was collected from generous neighbors. Thanks to all who enjoyed this wonderful holiday tradition and contributed to MUM!
- In August, MUM received $82 from the Giant Food Community Bag sale in Takoma Park.
In addition, MUM is thankful to be the recipient of the following new grants, which provide funds that allow us to continue our services:
- The Cloudbreak Foundation has provided a grant for $10,000 for eviction prevention.
- Montgomery County Department of Health and Human Services has provided a $25,000 grant to purchase food from the Capital Area Food Bank, in addition to produce and non-perishable boxes to distribute at our mobile food pantries.
- The Maryland Statewide Nutrition Assistance Equipment Program (SNAEP) has provided $3,744.15 to support MUM’s mobile food pantry.
- Macy’s has provided $2,500 in support of MUM’s food assistance efforts, and also donated winter coats to distribute to children at our Peppertree Farms mobile food pantry.
Our year-end goal is to raise $20,000, and MUM’s Board of Directors has graciously agreed to match year-end donations up to $10,000. Thanks to many generous donations, we are more than half-way there! Please help us to reach this goal so that we can continue to support our neighbors in need.
We make it easy! Donate here.
As we look forward to 2023, MUM wishes you and your family a warm and joyful ending to 2022, and a peaceful, safe and secure new year!