Volunteer with MUM
MUM depends not only on money, but also on volunteers to help with pantry operations, food drives, media and marketing, fundraising, translation and interpreter's services. Organizations and individuals regularly donate non-perishable food to MUM. Without this assistance, some of our neighbors would go hungry.
Volunteers are needed in the following areas:
Food Pantry Volunteers
- Organize the food pantry, stock the shelves, and distribute food to clients during the regular office hours of Mon. and Wed. 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and Thurs. 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- On an as-needed basis, organize food at our main storage facility and transport food items to the pantry
- On an as-needed basis, shop for select food items for the pantry
- Data entry of client information at MUM’s headquarters
Mobile Food Pantry Volunteers
- Transport and distribute Food
- Check in clients
- Client data collection
Food Drive Coordinator
- Identify sources and help with the organization of neighborhood, business, and school food drives
- Help with data entry, answer the phones, check in clients and assist the Executive Director at MUM’s headquarters
- Develop grant proposals to foundations to supplement MUM’s funds
Media Marketing Coordinator/Fundraiser
- Organize publicity campaigns to make MUM better known in the community and raise money
Spanish Language Interpreters
- Help non-English speaking clients express their needs and receive help
- Translate English content to Spanish for our website and other publications and materials
- Organize the mailing of the newsletter four times a year
All volunteer requests must go through the Montgomery County Volunteer Center.
Please visit the Volunteer Center and search for MUM opportunities.
Note: MUM gives SSL (Student Service Learning) hours to Montgomery County students who volunteer.
MUM is always happy to receive food donations. MUM distributes only non-perishable foods. The following are items that are always needed:
- Hot/Cold Cereals
- Canned Fruits/Vegetables
- Dry/Canned Beans, Pastas, Rice
- Pasta Sauces
- Canned Meats/Tuna
- Peanut Butter/Jelly
- Dessert Mixes/Icing
- Fruit Juices
- Dry/Canned Milk
- Diet Specific Foods
If you wish to donate non-perishable food to MUM, please call 301-929-8675, during weekday office hours (9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday) to schedule a delivery.