Volunteer with MUM
MUM depends on many volunteers to help us serve clients through our food pantry operations and emergency assistance. We need volunteers to help with the weekly food distributions, food drives, media and marketing, fundraising, translation and interpreter's services and other aspects of our operations.
Volunteers are needed in the following areas:
Office Food Pantry Volunteers
- Organize the office food pantry, stock the shelves, and distribute food to clients during the regular office hours of Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 9 am to 4 pm.
- On an as-needed basis, organize food at our main storage facility and transport food items to the office pantry.
- On an as-needed basis, shop for select food items or pick up donated goods.
- Data entry of client information at MUM's office.
Mobile Food Pantry Volunteers
- Help to load, unload and set up the food, tables, tents, and other materials at the weekly food distributions.
- Prepare bags of food on site for distribution to clients
- Pick up donations of food from farmers' markets, food drives and others on an as needed basis.
- Check clients in and record distribution data.
- Interpretation and translation with clients, particularly in Spanish.
- Recruit, schedule, track and communicate with volunteers to meet MUM needs, particularly for weekly food pantries.
Food Drive Coordinator
- Identify sources and help with the organization of neighborhood, business, and school food drives.
- Help with data entry, answer the phones, check in clients and assist the staff in MUM’s office.
Media Marketing Coordinator
- Help to update MUM's website and social media accounts
- Organize publicity campaigns to make MUM better known in the community and around particular fundraising events
Spanish Language Interpreters and Translators
- Help non-English speaking clients express their needs and receive help
- Translate English content to Spanish for our website and other publications and materials
Volunteers can sign up through the Montgomery County Volunteer Center by searching for MUM opportunities. They can also call the office or email email@example.com. Note: MUM can provide SSL (Student Service Learning) hours to Montgomery County students who volunteer.
MUM is always happy to receive in-kind donations. MUM distributes nonperishable foods and fresh produce as available. The following are items that are always needed:
- Hot/Cold Cereals
- Canned Fruits/Vegetables
- Dry/Canned Beans,
- Pasta Sauces
- Canned Meats/Tuna
- Peanut Butter/Jelly
- Diet Specific Foods (i.e. low sodium, low sugar, protein shakes, etc)
- Diapers, wipes and baby formula
- Fresh fruits and vegetables
If you wish to donate food to MUM, please call 301-929-8675, during weekday office hours (Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 9 am to 4 pm).