Please take a moment to take the Montgomery County Food Council Childhood Hunger Survey
Sometimes people need short-term help paying the rent or utilities. MUM is there to help.
Housing is a basic need for individuals and families. Often people on limited incomes are faced with the dilemma of whether to use their resources to pay the rent or buy food for their families. With the cooperation of other Montgomery County agencies, and as part of the Emergency Assistance Coalition, MUM provides financial assistance for rent to individuals and families who have suffered temporary financial setbacks.
Qualifications for Eviction Prevention assistance:
- Recipients must be Montgomery County residents living in one of these zip codes: 20906, 20902, 20853, 20895 and 20896
- Proof of residency is required; here are acceptable forms:
- Driver’s License with current address shown
- Utility bill in the name of the applicant with current address shown
- Proof of income including:
- Pay stubs
- Child and/or alimony income
- Workers compensation
- Unemployment compensation
- Survivors benefits
- Social Security Income/Social Security Disability Income (SSI/SSDI)
- Past due rent/mortgage notification must be presented
- Circumstances that created the need must be provided when applying
- Montgomery County Health and Human Services (HHS) and/or Housing Opportunities Commission (HOC) must be contacted, and a referral obtained, before applying to MUM for past due bills over $300
- Health and Human Services Information Line: 240-777-1245
- Housing Opportunities Commission: 240-627-9400
Note: Financial assistance, for any service, is limited to once every 12 months and three times in a lifetime.