Utility Cutoff Prevention/Restoration
The cost of utilities may change based on the season. When we need utilities the most is when the costs may rise. If you need help paying utilities, avoiding cutoffs or getting them restored, MUM can help.
Utility Cutoff Prevention and Utility Restoration
Sometimes people on limited incomes must make hard choices when it comes to paying the rent, buying food for their families, or paying their utility bills. MUM can provide financial assistance including seeking additional funding from other public agencies to help those who are struggling to pay their utility payments.
Qualifications for Utility assistance:
- Recipients must be Montgomery County residents living in one of these zip codes: 20906, 20902, 20853, 20895 and 20896
- Proof of residency is required; here are acceptable forms:
- Driver’s License with current address shown
- Utility bill in the name of the applicant with their current address shown
- Proof of income including:
- Pay stubs
- Child and/or alimony income
- Workers compensation
- Unemployment compensation
- Survivors benefits
- Social Security Income/Social Security Disability Income SSI/SSDI
- Past due utility bill must be presented
- Circumstances that created the need must be provided when applying
- Health and Human Services (HHS) and/or Housing Opportunity Commission (HOC) must be contacted for assistance before applying to MUM for past due bills over $300
- Health and Human Services Information Line: 240-777-1245
- Housing Opportunities Commission: 240-627-9400
Note: Financial assistance, for any service, is limited to once every 12 months and three times in a lifetime.